E.B. Scripps Elementary
Features at a glance
Ecology and environment learning programs
School-based sports and athletics clubs
Parent involvement programs, including a parent center
Wellness programs and onsite wellness coordinator
Safe and inclusive anti-bullying leadership programs
After-school learning enrichment opportunities
Before and after school care
Additional Visual and Performing Arts clubs, partnerships, and opportunities
Gifted and Talented Education
State-of-the-art STEAM Makerspace
Welcome to Ellen Browning Scripps Elementary School, a California Gold Ribbon School, a California Distinguished School, an Honor Roll School and a San Diego Premier 21st-Century Schoolhouse!
E. B. Scripps is a high performing school. Our students always perform well above district and state averages on standardized tests each year. In fact, the State of California recognized EBS for exemplary implementation of the Common Core State Standards by naming us a California Gold Ribbon School.
Our EBS Technology Academy includes both a Computer lab and a Maker Space engineering and robotics lab. We teach our students to imagine, design and create as a way to learn how to solve complex problems, think outside the box and work with a team, all critical skills for the 21st Century.
Our mission is to provide a world-class educational experience that prepares our students to meet the opportunities and challenges of the 21st century successfully. We value the whole child, high academic and civic standards, creativity, diversity, parent and community involvement, collaboration, accountability and lifelong learning.
What Makes Us Special
We are a school community with:
- supportive and involved parents;
- students who come to school eager to learn;
- a compassionate faculty devoted to their work, students and co-workers
- students, parents, teachers and community members dreaming together, keeping a supportive tone at the forefront of their work
- literacy-rich experiences for our students
- a joy for lifelong learning
- scholarly teaching and learning ...
... and the list continues.
Guiding Values and Principles
At Ellen Browning Scripps Elementary School ...
- All decisions are made in the best interests of the children.
- Parents are welcome and visible partners in the teaching and learning process.
- All programs and services are designed to ensure challenges and equal opportunity for all students.
- All programs and services are collaboratively designed.
- Decision-making is collaborative, and consensus is sought. The school principal is the final decision-making authority in the event that consensus cannot be reached or in cases where statute or district policy dictate decision outcomes.
- A "no-fault" policy is practiced, meaning everyone has a right to present his/her opinion about E.B. Scripps' educational program.
- High academic and civic standards exist and are clearly communicated.
- All programs and services are evaluated based on outcomes.
- All members of the school community, including students, school professionals, parents and others, share accountability for student achievement.
- We value lifelong learning and support all members of the school community -- including students, school professionals, parents and others -- to acquire lifelong learning skills.
- We seek to create conditions that promote the growth and development of all members of the school community, including students, school professionals, parents and others.
- We cherish and embrace diversity.
- We focus on the whole child.
- Literacy is the heart of all we do.