Pacific Beach Middle
Features at a glance
Foreign language instruction
Career technical education courses
An organic garden on campus
Ecology and environment learning programs
School-based sports and athletics clubs
Parent involvement programs, including a parent center
Support from a Military Family Life counselor
Supports for LGBTQIA students, including a GSA club
Wellness programs and onsite wellness coordinator
Safe and inclusive anti-bullying leadership programs
Community and business partnerships
Before and after school care
Additional Visual and Performing Arts clubs, partnerships, and opportunities
Gifted and Talented Education
Integrated project-based learning
Our school is truly special -- innovative, historic and full of cool programs. Where else can students learn Mandarin Chinese, as well as join the sports fishing club? There is no other school like it in the entire region. In fact, our International Baccalaureate program is one of 4000+ IB World Schools in the world.
For more than 60 years, our school has been the heart of a picturesque neighborhood within view of the glittering Pacific Ocean. Our students, girls and boys 11-14 years of age, get a sense of history when they step on our campus. Our families are part of something that is long-lasting. PB Middle alumni are part of an established school with deep roots in the community.Our public school is part of the San Diego Unified School District. We have a reputation for academics that are challenging and engaging. PB Middle's academic program helps students develop the knowledge, understanding, attitudes and skills necessary to be part of the fast-changing global economy. In 2007 we earned the prestigious title of International Baccalaureate World School from the IB headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
Since authorization, three of our educators have won IB Educator of the Year for California, one of our students was named IB Student of the Year, we have won numerous local and state awards, and we've been named a "Spotlight School" by the California IB Association.
In the IB spirit we collaborate with other educators and institutes to share what we have learned. We host visitors from around the world who come to see our model IB program in action. PB Middle staff are regularly called on to train other IB educators as well as consult, authorize, and evaluate IB Candidate and World Schools.
All of our students are IB students and all of our teachers are IB trained. From the athletic fields, to the science labs, and to the Counseling Center, faculty members work together to ensure that all students receive the guidance they need and a one-of-a-kind curriculum to fulfill their potential.
Our students learn through traditional instruction as well as project-based learning and inquiry in both single-subject and interdisciplinary units. Because we believe all students should have access to a balanced, well-rounded education, all of our courses are year-long and include visual and performing arts, design technology, Language B (Spanish), physical education and fitness, and advanced mathematics.
In addition to the academically rigorous curriculum, we offer students enrichment opportunities including award-winning athletics along with jazz, service, yearbook, video production, choir, sportfishing, and a variety of other lunch and after-school activities.
- International Baccalaureate Programs are designed to prepare students to engage and work within a rapidly globalizing world through interdisciplinary work, developing independent, critical thinking skills, and fostering strong emotional and socially conscious characteristics.
- Studies show that students who participated in the IB Diploma Programme enrolled in college immediately after graduating from high school, compared to the 66% of all US high school graduates.
- University admissions officers often seek out IB Diploma Programme students.
- Pacific Beach Middle School has earned the prestigious International Baccalaureate World School status. Their program prepares students for the demanding requirements of the IB Diploma Programme offered in high school.
- According to research, former Middle Years Programme students were 34% more likely to take at least one diploma proramme or Advanced Placement exam in high school, and are 39% more likely to earn at least one “college-ready” score on a college preparatory exam.
- Mission Bay High School offers IB Diploma courses in six (6) subject groups and the diploma programme core, comprising theory of knowledge (TOK), Creativity, Activity, and Service (CAS), and the extended essay.
- Their courses meet requirements for admission to the University of California and California State University systems.
- In addition to the academic rigor of IB programs, students gain a broader world view and have opportunities for involvement in larger community activities.
- PB Middle School and Mission Bay High School’s IB programs encourage students to become internationally minded people who are concerned with action in local and global issues.